Thursday, April 28, 2011

Royally Tacky

Ok, I admit it: I am drawn to the royal fiasco - I mean wedding.  What a circus! This wedding is shaping up to be almost as good as a tea party attended by Clinton's x-lovers and hosted by that backasswards half-brother of his could be (yes, I DO have an imagination).  Too bad one can't buy class!

I'm speaking of course of the Middletons, a family which seems to be thoroughly befuddled with handling their daughter's eminent (also imminent) wedding to Prince William.  Hello, we all know who you are and what you do, no need to go all huckster on us (that goes for you too, Charles)! At the center of tacky is Phillipa (Pippa), for whom journalist have reserved the most vitriol. Now they may be overdoing it - Cruella Deville got a better wrap - but one can hardly blame them for noting the spectacle. At least they're making money (good if not tacky opportunism).

Distracted with dishing it out on Pippa, the press seems to be overlooking the fact that Catherine herself is, um, pushing it? While she seems to want to imitate Diana, Kate is certainly not arriving to the Abbey an innocent, wide-eyed girl.  Quite the opposite, she's decorating the Abbey with a forrest - because somehow it's in need of sprucing up, no pun intended.  This is akin to putting glitter on the hope diamond, and about as necessary.

So of course I'm going to watch the service (or at least highlights of it).  I'm not the least bit moved by this made-for-TV "love affair",  but I do love a good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment